Non Karmann Scirocco 3

General discussion for Scirocco owners
Doug Teulie
Benutzer
Non Karmann Scirocco 3

Beitrag von Doug Teulie »

Discuss the VW built Scirocco 3 in full detail.

For us folks in the USA who have not driven the new car please provide a review, detailed description, and an overall evaluation.
Please list five positive attributes and five negative attributes.

What is the word on the street regarding the car?

What will put a smile on my face when I see it for the first time?

Will I hand the key to salesman or keep it after a test drive?

Is the car a good value?

Name the top three cars in the same price category that you would purchase instead of the new Scirocco if you can?

I note that early on the larger distant from the original Scirocco formula, in house VW designed Scirocco 3 (not the Corrado this time) was intended for the USA market from the beginning. Note they designed the bumper with the small US license plate opening early in the program. The VW chiefs purposely held it back from the US just as they hold back most every new version or new platform. It is understandable.
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Tempest
AW: Non Karmann Scirocco 3

Beitrag von Tempest »

I had the luck of having managed to blag a candywhite Type 13 from VW UK recently for the Classic Car Show in November, where the CCGB and SciroccoRegister had a very nice big combined stand, where admittedly the Type 13 seemed a bit out of place, but did certainly pull in the crowds.

It was DSG-version, so I had to reprogramme my brain in terms of driving, ah yes, like an automatic then, hand occasionally still wanting to do something :lol:

It was OK, the acc was nice in sporty mode, but as a fun car it lacked soul. There was no beautiful k-jetronic engine noise or g60 whine, it was all very civilised, like you would expect from a new car, i.e. boring IMHO.

Handling, well I didn´t really get to test it that much. Jim, who you may know from your UK visit 2007, managed to blag a Type 13 from VW UK for the 20-years Corrado trip to Germany, where he actually took it onto the Nürburgring. He was really very pleases with its handling, giving the VR6 Rado boys a good run for their money, as he stated. He is a potential customer even, feeling the Corrado looks dated etc., which is where I closed my ears :lol:

Personally my biggest issue with the Type13 is its name. If it had been called a Golf or whatever, then I most likely would have ignored it, thinking like I do now, too, that, yes, it´s finally a more interesting looking car from VW, but it does not set my house on fire, there are nicer new modern cars out there. Calling it a Scirocco, as has unfortunately happened, is an insult, I feel.

Nicer casr in the same price bracket? Well, I think that both Dirk and certainly me were quite taken by the Alfa Romeo Brera, when we saw it at the Geneva Motorshow earlier this year, or was it the nice looking ladies on the stand? I can´t remember now :gruebel: :hihi: Sitting inside felt nice, it´s been designed by Giugiaro (always a plus :-) ), actually looks like a coupe, OK, you´d get a second-hand version for the price of a new tyoe 13, but it does come with a V6 engine for that price.

Tempest
My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

I was at a nice lunch by the beach a few weeks back and one of the writers for the New York Times joined us. We had a very interesting collection of people at the table from all over the USA. A friend of mine mentioned that I was racing some Sciroccos. The writer offered his opinion on the new type 13. He stated that the car is pointless and went on to say that VW missed an opportunity. None of us have driven the car so we are at a disadvantage to make full judgment.
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Es-Racing
Benutzer

Beitrag von Es-Racing »

I have testet the Car with a friend of me.

We had the car 1 hour and in this one hour we want to push the pedal on the metal. End of the fun was the waste of fuel. 16.62 MPG (17,3 l/100km)

That was the 1.4l Supercharged with Turbo and 160HP.

The Car goes sportly from 0-100 and the acceleration is okay. nothing special, but it makes fun. The Handling is... nothing special. Like in a Golf 5with good Sport Dampers.

The Car understeers very hard and that is really bad, because the car have only 1300 kilogramms. other cars can do that 100times better.

Before I would buy a new Scirocco, I would prefer a Mazda RX8, Honda Civic, or an Ford Focus ST (what is a really sports FWD car, much better than the scirocco 3. but it looks not as good as the Scirocco)

You live in America, why don´t you buy a Mustang or something???
I prefer a new Mustang 1000 times more than the New Scirocco. And if you buy the Top Version 300Hp Mustang or 200Hp Scirocco. There is not much difference between the fuel waste. both need around 10 l/100km all day.

And I had testet and driven both of them. I would prefer a New Mustang. And because of that the Mustang is even much cheaper than the new Scirocco. Much more aggressive and from the Interieur, there are on nearly the same level, even if some people say the mustang interieur sucks. I don´t think so.

And if you go shopping, the car is also not so good, because of the high "rear door"

I think, the Car looks Interesting, the Car is fast, the Quality is very good, but I missed the Fun a little bit.
Bild
88er_GT_Scala
Benutzer

Beitrag von 88er_GT_Scala »

Erik, why didn't you mention your father's EVO?

Damn, I'm still impressed.
Perhaps next time you need some parts, bring the EVO down the hill!
Es gibt Leute die denken sie wären der Käs, nur weil sie so stinken!

Testamentvordrucke im Handschuhfach!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cxspark

Beitrag von cxspark »

@Doug Teulie

Positive:
+ Beautiful colors available: blue, vipergreen
+ Doors without top rails as in a convertible
+ Front looks good
+ Good handling on the road although not spectacular
+ Theoretical low fuel consumption if not driven fast
+ Modern car: security airbags, ABS, ESP, air conditioning, you name it
+ Headroom for large people ok

- The look of the backside
- The look of the backside (it is so ugly, it deserves two negative points :kotz: )
Especially ugly in silver, another potato car (tm C$)
- Low practicability: luggage compartment is much worse than Scirocco 2, Parking sensors a must because of the bad rear view, again something the Scirocco 2 is very good in (parking).
- Expensive but it looks as exclusive as the Golf GTI it should have been properly named.
- No low coupe except when compared with a SUV, Minivan or Golf Plus.
- Built in Portugal instead of Karmann, which would be ok if it would cost 5 Grand less. Instead it feels like a "rip-off". Rust on two cars on the mounting brackets of the rear lid openers underlines this.
- Engine noise is hardly hearable and certainly not special.

"What will put a smile on my face when I see it for the first time?"
I like the blue paint. But it doesn't put a smile on my face as my beaten-up winter Scirocco does when I walk home towards it.

"Will I hand the key to salesman or keep it after a test drive?"
That is everybodys choice. If I would be offered free choice for a company-paid car or if I were single and would not have time to waste on maintaing my car, I might get one. But I like the history my old cars have experienced and withstood, which is something illogical.

"Is the car a good value?"
I find it too expensive, especially with the must-have parking sensors and being built in southern Europe. Guys, it is supposed to be a VOLKSwagen! Compared with my 1.6 t Touran, I am underwhelmed with its performance. The Touran has immensely more functionality, is built in Germany and costs less, is still agile with the small TDI engine. Stupid comparison? Maybe, but I used to own a 89er Passat Variant and therefore find the comparison useful what you get from VW for your money: The Passat as a family car at that time was slightly more expensive than the Karmann-built Scirocco 2. The Touran today is cheaper than the Type 13. The Passat of today has changed to executive class car is no family car anymore.

The type 13 would be the perfect Golf GTI, restoring some of the sportyness the Golf I GTI had and what all current GTIs lack. Still, too expensive.

"Name the top three cars in the same price category that you would purchase instead of the new Scirocco if you can?"
Maybe Alfa Brera, Opel Astra OPC (again in a beautiful blue available), Audi Cabrio
Stahlfarbener 90er Luxus-GT2. christiansinner (at) hotmail.com. Das 2E Motor&Getriebepaket vom Scala wartet noch auf Bastler.
DREHMOMENT statt DEZIBEL :frech:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

Thank you.
I am interested in your opinions and experiences with the new car.

Bild
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Tempest

Beitrag von Tempest »

Doug, I´d be more interested in when VW will make the Type 13 a true Karmann and use your design, for example :grins:

Tempest
My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

Tempest hat geschrieben:Doug, I´d be more interested in when VW will make the Type 13 a true Karmann and use your design, for example :grins:

Tempest
One more try...... MK4?
Bild
Bild
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Buggyboy

Beitrag von Buggyboy »

Nice drawings :thumb:
Scirocco ist nicht das wichtigste im Leben.

Es ist das Einzige

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click for Infos
Antworten