PLANNING THE KARMANN VISIT 17th-20th of AUGUST - (was: Retro Cars 02/2006)

General discussion for Scirocco owners
Antworten
Mein Einser
Benutzer

Re: PLANNING THE KARMANN VISIT 17th-20th of AUGUST - (was: Retro Cars 02/2006)

Beitrag von Mein Einser »

Can not wait to speak with some brits again :hihi: :hihi: Can u bring me a portion Fish and chips havent had that for years. :essen: :hihi: :hihi:
:massa::massa: [SIGPIC]Bild[/SIGPIC] Neupreis 20.240,DM

Hohenroda 2007 http://www.clipfish.de/player.php?video ... MTExNTk%3D
Tempest

Beitrag von Tempest »

>Can u bring me a portion Fish and chips havent had that for years.

How would Sir like that? With or without salt & vinegar, frozen (for transport reasons, so bring your deep frier :grins: ), soggie, with mushy peas :kotz: :hihi: , mayonaise (not very British), ketchup (again, not very British), brown suace (this is me probably getting it wrong, as despite my 16 years residency here on the island, I'm still too continental as to fully appreciate some of the rather strange habits the island folk have here :lol: ).

Can bring some S&V crisps, though :grins:

Tempest
My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

Beitrag von Doug Teulie »

@ Tempest---->
"""Dirk's scribblings on the "convoy to Karmann"-thread, .....if he can't make it to the Karmann meet at all...., that I would somehow get "my lot" up to Karmann,.....even if he really can't make it, another person from the forum, nickname OSler, would take up his space at the hotel....."""

Thanks for the update and translation Mr. Tempest.
I understood most of that message even with my very poor German skill. I don't know why but yours and Dirk's German messages are much easer for me to understand than most other folks on the German side. Even still for me it is like unscrambling a word puzzle under water using a James Bond decoder ring that is broken. I am happy to see that OSler will join in the fun but I hope that Dirk can make it too. I don't want Dirk to have any problems at work just because he came to a Scirocco meet. This is why I wished him the best. (Please join us if you can)

@ Mein Einser----->
Welcome to the GB PLANNING THE KARMANN VISIT 17th-20th of AUGUST - (was: Retro Cars 02/2006) messages.

This GB food you speak of ??? mushy peas? and GB chips? Is this better than the Mc Donald's happy meal food we get in the US? We have been told that the only food in the UK is dark beer, creamed veggies, dark beer, rice pudding .....and dark beer.

Post Edited (08-03-06 18:39)
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Tempest

Beitrag von Tempest »

@ Doug:
>Even still for me it is like unscrambling a word puzzle under water using a James Bond decoder ring that is broken.

Ah well, that's me then with Italian, French, Spanish, ..., erm pretty much any language other than Dutch, German and English as well as Rubbish which I speak quite fluently :lol:

>I don't know why but yours and Dirk's German messages are much easer for me to understand than most other folks on the German side.
:gruebel: Really? Flattered I am (Yoda-speak). Well, erm, could it be due to .... *moderator stepped in here to delete insane amounts of self-praising ramble* :hihi:

>This GB food you speak of ??? mushy peas? and GB chips? Is this better than the Mc Donald's happy meal food we get in the US?
:rotfl: Well, first of all, let's clarify some of the language differences :lol: Chips in the UK is what everybody else on the globe (except in excess of 1 million Chinese, of course) refers to as fries (not French fries, because the French never invented that stuff in the first place, that honour goes to the Belgians). Crisps on the other hand is what the whole world would refer to as chips. Confused? So was I, when I first came to the UK :hihi:

Mushy peas is simply peas with, erm, I still don't know what that green gooh (slime :hihi: ) is what they're swimming in, when you open a tin (erm, sorry can) of this stuff. Taste alright, just sounds dreadful.

McDo' happy meal. Yes, first time I encountered this highlight of the US cuisine was when my parents and I moved ober to the States back in the 70s (I was just at the humble age of 6, and hence loved all this toy-/franchise-crazed lifestyle in the US). Now I wouldn't touch any McDo' food with a barge pole :kotz:

>We have been told that the only food in the UK is dark beer, creamed veggies, dark beer, rice pudding .....and dark beer.

Ah yes, the real ales, or if you really want almost black beer, Guinness :-) , which is actually from Ireland :hihi:

We will have plenty of fun talking about commonalities and differences, I see :-)

@ Dirk:
>Maybe we can find a compromise,

Perhaps Doug bringing along his States' governor to the negotiation rounds might help :lol:

Tempest
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

@ Dirk---->

(From Dirk)"""off work in August has been rejected.....I can talk with the management not earlier than on Monday....Maybe we can find a compromise."""

From Doug---->
:gruebel: I would think it is too far of a drive for just Sat Eve. If you can not make it we will think of you.
:cry:

(From Dirk)---->"""I have been to customs today and collected your box.
THANKS for the contents !""""

From Doug---->I hope you like the food! :-) :-) ) :gift:

(From Dirk)---->"""I will look at the DVD when I am back home tonight."""

From Doug---->I hope you like the DVD and can play it OK (pal vs ntsc). The other disk has the corel files. I think you will like them. I hope so.
Let me know if the DVD is approved by you (the greatest Scirocco driver of all time)!
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

(Tempest)
"""!Perhaps Doug bringing along his States' governor to the negotiation rounds might help!"""

(Governor of California [A.S.])
"Dirk will be back! at work on Monday with extra pay! this is the compromise"

(Tempest)
""Rubbish which I speak quite fluently""

(Doug)
Me too!

(Yoda-speak). Really? Flattered I am (Yoda-speak).

(Doug)
Side note:
I know the real Yoda. He was my drawing teacher in school. Now you know who taught me how to draw Sciroccos, Yoda. I am not joking. Yoda is the great Dean Myers in person. Yoda was designed after Dean by the Star Wars designer who was a student of Dean too.

(Tempest)
Chips in the UK is....fries.....

(Doug)
This I knew. I have seen them as "Franglays" too.

(Tempest)
Crisps on the other hand is what the whole world would refer to as chips. Confused?

(Doug)
This I did not know. We just call them Doritos.

(Tempest)
Mushy peas is ..... still don't know what that green gooh (slime ) is... when you open a tin (erm, sorry can) of this stuff.

(Doug)
Kathy hates peas! Her mom was from the UK food school. Her Dad is Swedish so she likes Salmon but not mushy peas. She looks Swedish too.

(Tempest)
McDo' ...I encountered.. US cuisine ....Now I wouldn't touch any McDo' food with a barge pole. .....hence loved all this toy-/franchise-crazed lifestyle in the US).

(Doug)
Me too but the new Cars movie toys came out and we got near all the toys. The food mostly went to the trash.

(Tempest)
Ah yes, the real ales....We will have plenty of fun talking about commonalities and differences, I see

(Doug)
Yes

Post Edited (08-04-06 09:19)
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Tempest

Beitrag von Tempest »

@ Doug:
>I know the real Yoda. He was my drawing teacher in school. Now you know who taught me how to draw Sciroccos, Yoda. I am not joking. Yoda is the great Dean Myers in person. Yoda was designed after Dean by the Star Wars designer who was a student of Dean too.

:baff: :massa:

No kidding? That is special :baff: Now the only question I have is why did they not have any Roccos in the Star Wars movies? :hihi: I would have even accepted the Rocco as Luke's Landspeeder, or how about a Rocco as an X-Wing fighter? :grins:

Have you still got contact with Dean? If so, massage his brain into Rocco-fever :-)

Not quite as glamorous: When we lived in the States, my Dad had a colleague, who literally grew up as a neigbour and went to the same school as Leonard Nimoy, better known as Mr Spock. Never got to meet Leonard in person, though :-(

>Her mom was from the UK food school

Steak pies with real ale, then ;-)

>food school. Her Dad is Swedish
Images of the Swedish chef from the Muppet Show coming into my mind :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Tempest
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

(Early drawings of Sciroccos done by me in 1986)

Joe Johnston is the Yoda designer.

Joe answered an ad while a student of Dean Myers in the 70's. The movie was looking for employees. George Lucas and Johnston became acquainted and Johnston took the job. He was employed as a storyboard artist. He provided the final designs for "Star Wars" characters Yoda and Boba Fett. Many of the ships were done by him too. Johnston used Dean for Yoda because Dean showed Johnston how to draw like a master. Dean was like Yoda and looked like Yoda but Dean was taller (5.5 feet), less green and had normal ears. Dean and Yoda walk the same and had the same face.

Dean is gone now but he did teach many designers including me how to draw nearly anything. I spent three years under Master Dean's instruction.

To answer the question, "why did they not have any Roccos in the Star Wars movies?" It is because I did not take the job. I was just in grade school when the first movie was made and the Scirocco was very new in the US. In 1986 I was contracted to Toyota to do concept research on an entry level line of cars. I used the Scirocco as my inspiration for defining "low cost with high value sports." (If you know about Toyota you would understand this statement)

Post Edited (08-04-06 18:35)
Doug T (California USA)

76 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
80 MK1 Scirocco 1.8 S8V
87 MK2 Scirocco 1.8 16V
Bild
Bild
Bild
Tempest

Beitrag von Tempest »

@ Doug:
>in the UK is dark beer

Can bring some of that along, if you want. Had a chat with Jim, who'll be one of the 8 joining from the UK, and we'll get some of the nicer stuff :-)

Tempest
Doug Teulie
Benutzer

:cry:
(Dirk)--->""there is absolutely no way that I could get a day off work on 18th of August"""

:-)
(Dirk)--->""Lars ( OSLer ) will take care of you"""

:cop: :kopfhaue:
(Dirk)--->""Doug & Kathy : please control the british crowd a bit."""

:drive: :auto: :drive:
(Dirk)--->""Friday after work to Osnabrueck""""

:dance:
(Dirk)--->""meet you guys in person"""

:massa:
(Dirk)--->""visit the IROC presentation""""

:super:
(Dirk)--->""adoption"""