Let me introduce myself (and also ask for parts).

General discussion for Scirocco owners
Antworten
Hsolo
Neuer Benutzer

Let me introduce myself (and also ask for parts).

Beitrag von Hsolo »

Hallo Scirocco brothers & sisters,

I'm really impressed with this forum from the birthplace of my favorite car!!!! It's very cool that there is a section for 'roccophiles from all over the world.

My personal Scirocco story is a long one, so I won't bore you with the details. The short version is that my Dad *bought one in 1979 and drove it until I received my license in 1993. *He passed the Scirocco over to me and I loved it more than air and sunlight for about 4 months when I a drunk driver t-boned me ending my *time as a Scirocco driver. *That is until last summer when I finally took the leap and purchased *a '78 that had been built/modified by a now defunct company, Motor Technique, *sometime during the late '80's/early 90's.

Here are a few pics:

Bild
The day she arrived. I like how she shared the journey with the R8.

Bild
From a get together this summer.

Bild
In storage for the winter.

Bild
From another angle with her stablemate an'82 1.6D Rabbit in the background.

A few from the ad on the vortex.
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

The car was given the full treatment with a G60 swap combined with almost every chassis mod available at the time. As well as redoing the exterior with full body kit and color matching of bumpers and mirrors.*

So the car is a bit of a "time capsule", which is cool but I would like to put my personal touch on it. The car drives and handles wonderfully so I won't change anything mechanical. I would however like to change the exterior, removing the fender flares, skirts, air dam, bumpers and mirrors. I would like to simplify the styling with a combination of some smoothing and *a little chrome. *Chrome euro bumpers, flag mirrors and door handles. A duckbill spoiler up front. Pulled arches filled with polished Le Castellets.

I have sourced everything except for the chrome euro bumpers. Which leads me to my question and reason for posting. Does anyone know a supplier for reproductions? Would the reproduced golf 1 chrome bumpers fit? Or are they the wrong shape and size? I have found some Scirocco ones here:

http://www.teilehaber.de/neu-stossstang ... 27028.html

These appear to be N.O.S. but I'm amazed at the price. I would expect to pay this or more in North America *but thought that they would be more common in Europe and Germany in particular. *Is this price fair?

*I think I would rather find rusty *dented used bumpers for cheaper that I could restore myself. Does anyone know of a source for used chrome bumpers? Am I kidding myself thinking that they would cost less?

If anybody out in the Scirocco universe can point me in the right direction I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks Everybody,

Hsolo
Tempest
AW: Let me introduce myself (and also ask for parts).

Beitrag von Tempest »

Hi, and welcome to this forum in Germany :wink:

Love your Mk1, and I´d be tempted to leave it as it is, but that´s because I like modded Mk1s quite a bit. Personally I´m not too keen on the chrome look, but tastes differ :grins: Can see the point though of wanting to swap the bumpers :zwinker:

Should be going like sh1t off a shovel with that engine, too, I bet :super:

Regarding your question: Chrome bumpers are rare even in the old world. Hence the prices bordering on ludicrous.

Don´t think the Golf Mk1 bumpers will fit, never tried it, but the Rocco bumpers do start with the Rocco-specific 531 part number, so that would more or less indicate that they are specific to the Rocco, otherwise they would have a part number starting with 171 (Golf Mk1).

Tempest
My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
Hsolo
Neuer Benutzer

AW: Let me introduce myself (and also ask for parts).

Beitrag von Hsolo »

Tempest, thanks for the welcome and your reply. Yes, it flys off the shovel. *To be truthful the car does have a drivability issue, the clutch. She can handle boost to a point and then spins the clutch so I've yet to really giv'er the beans. The acceleration to that point scares the poo out of me. An uprated unit is in the cards. I'll keep you posted.

Allow me to explain my choice in aesthetics. The mk1 is IMO the best looking car VAG has ever produced (with the early ghias and possibly the mk4 jetta/bora as runners up) but I am horribly biased.
*I hear you about the modded mk1, there are some beauties out there, and my '78 has grown on me especially the yellow zenders, which were too" in your face " for me early on. I'm thinking of swapping them over to the Rabbit for fun as i feel the yellow would go well with the burgundy.*
It's just that my memories of the '79 make me want to bring the '78 closer to how*Giugiaro penned the car. I feel like it's being hidden under all of the kit. In fact I would go as far as saying that the mk1 is a rare example of a car that looks better with out skirts. The air dam is near impossible to clean the bugs out of after a drive and doesn't flow/fit with the flares as well as I would like. The duckbill is simpler and again doesn't hide the curve of the lower front valance. I'm a less is more kinda a guy.*
About the chrome, I can see your point of view, too much bling can be garrish. I've had the Le Castellets for years and are my absolute fav oem wheel and must go on the car. The hope for the bits of chrome is to tie the polished alloys in with the rest of the car. I'm not going to replace any of the body or window trim. The bumpers are *to get rid of the continental shelves that were mandated by North American DOT. I have the chrome door handles from the '79. And the mirrors would be the final touch. As alway this just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. If you've read all of this, thanks for hanging in and sorry about waffling on and on.

Back to the important topic...euro bumpers. It was a fools hope that there might be a scrap yard from heaven with stacks of chrome bumpers waiting for me. The price makes total sense. That doesn't mean that I'm willing to pay it though. But I still would love to have 'em.*
The answer is reproductions.*I personally don't have the backing or background to do the tooling required to stamp parts. I was thinking that they could be cut from sheet and welded then chromed for much less than $1k CND (what the N.O.S. would cost me). Which brings me to my next request. If anybody in the 'roccoverse has a set of them might I ask for their dimensions? Or better *a traced outline of each face. * *Then I could get a quote from my local fab shop. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Hsolo
Antworten